Sunday, January 17, 2021

Are we normal or just lucky?

 Random thoughts on the new normal and how it will affect our lives this year!

Yes, I feel normal but are we really? As commented by a visitor to the Americas Cup on TV last week, it is hard to believe that where he was from no one was out with anyone else but after several days he felt that the NZ normal was great.

Watching coverage of the America’s Cup races and the crowds along the waterfront, New Zealand vs Pakistan or West Indies cricket, walking through Pukekura Park with thousands of others it really is hard to believe that the rest of the world does not have the same normal as we do any longer? Are we special or just lucky in that our distance, size of population and the fact that we locked our country down early, has given rise to this near normal state of affairs for our country. I attended a wedding with over 100 people and not a mask in sight. I have been following friends who have been touring the country this holiday break and they have been at cricket matches, dining in restaurants, playing the tourist at beaches and other attractions with others who are not in the bubble. I visited MOTAT last week and although not crowded it was still an almost normal visit aside from the sanitizer and Covid app sign in.

Even my online watching has become a bit isolated. Many regular blog writers, Facebook posters or instagrammers are all commenting on how the Covid state of affairs is affecting them. They are finding new hobbies, directions to take their creativity, waiting for numerous parcels to arrive with purchases because they cannot drive to the shop to choose a thread or fabric in person.

I am finding that my new normal for projects is looking at what I have and trying to use something up. I did this last year for the Peppermint Purple SAL. I used a piece of hardanger fabric and threads purchased in 2016 and 2000. The final item was made from material I already had except for the outside piece which I purchased especially. That fabric is now being used by my sister for her Japanese quilt.

Inside fabric and border fabrics were from the stash as was the wadding and calico.

Finished Peppermint Purple SAL 2020. 
Quote is from Eeyore.
Back fabric - bought for the project

Our guild project for this year is going to be Wessex embroidery. Once again the normal thing would be to start the project but in the interest of using stash I am going to continue my sampler with chocolate sayings and see how far I can get. It may also be possible to turn it into the needle packet Holder but I am not holding my breath. Perhaps it will be a holder for knitting needles. Who can tell in this new normal when stuff may be in short supply and my stash is going to be more important.




No comments: